About Me

My photo
Wife, Animal Lover, Pediatric Audiologist, Golfer, Skier, Childless By Choice, Half-Marathon Runner

Sunday, February 6, 2011

On My Way Back

I ended up resting for nearly two weeks due to pain from my metatarsal stress fracture. I did ride my bike, do the elliptical and also lift weights, but it wasn't quite the same. I felt ready to run on Wednesday, until one of my dogs decided to bite my foot. Yes, that foot, in the same damn spot. Go figure. Fortunately, the spot where she broke the skin is on the side of my foot, and the top is just bruised, so it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. By Saturday, I couldn't wait any longer and I decided to do a test run of a mile. Well, it went pretty well so I decided to do two. I went back and forth today about what to do and I ended up running 3 miles. The first 1.5 didn't go great, I felt very blah and sluggish. I was wearing my old Brooks and I decided to take a half hour bike "break". I gave myself a pep talk while on the bike. When I finished that, I went in a changed into my Newtons. The next 1.5 miles went off beautifully. A little bit of "discomfort" shall we say, but not really pain. I am aware of that foot, whereas the left one I am not. But I think as long as I ice, elevate and don't overdo it, I should be ok. I intend to take this week fairly easy- I am going to do a couple of easy runs, 2 or 3 miles each and then a 5K on Saturday (with no crazy expectations, just good old running fun). After that, I will re-evaluate and see if I can start adding back in some speed work and long runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment