About Me

My photo
Wife, Animal Lover, Pediatric Audiologist, Golfer, Skier, Childless By Choice, Half-Marathon Runner

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Why I Run

I decided that today I would make a list of reasons why I run, because I think sometimes I need a little reminder. I got up at 4:30am today so that I could get in an "easy 3 miles". But, as luck would have it, it was anything but easy. I was tired, my left shin was bothering me, and the blisters I ended up with after a wet 5K on Saturday and a long 7 miler on Sunday decided to re-appear. Ironically, my stress fracture seems to be much better, and isn't really causing any problems for me right now. But I felt very tired, and it was just a slow, uninspiring run. I cut it short to two miles and did some weights instead. Not too big of a deal, since I had a two mile run scheduled this week anyway, but I just felt like I couldn't go any farther, which kind of sucks when the long range goal is 13.1. I know that I am still easing my way back after my injury, but I can't help but feel disappointed and a little bit concerned that I have taken on something I can't do. Anyway, back to the reasons why I run:

I run for my health. Running helped me lose 17 lbs & I have never felt better. I want to be as fit as possible.

I run for the challenge. Hey, running is hard, and who doesn't love a good challenge?

I run to reach goals. I love the feeling of running faster & further. I'm very competitive, if only with myself.

I run for the fun of it. Let's face it, the Turkey Trot is hilarious, and even more so now that I don't hate it.

I wouldn't say that I LOVE to run, but I don't HATE it anymore either. I hate when it doesn't go well, like today, but I had some great runs last week that reminded me why I do this. I know I will have some better runs coming up and some bad ones along the way too. That's what it's all about, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment