About Me

My photo
Wife, Animal Lover, Pediatric Audiologist, Golfer, Skier, Childless By Choice, Half-Marathon Runner

Friday, December 31, 2010

Where I've Been and Where I'm Going

Since it's New Year's Eve, I feel obligated to write about what I've done and what I am looking forward to. First of all, I have to thank my husband for his persistence. If it weren't for the random day in August when he came home from working out of town and asked me why I wasn't working out, I might not be writing this right now. I didn't really have a good reason, as I had already done couch to 5K. I just didn't get any further than that, and kind of gave up all together. So, the next morning while he was getting ready for a run, I asked him to wait for me. And I went out and ran 3 miles. I haven't stopped since then. In the past 3 1/2 months, I've managed to run 157 miles. That's not really a lot, but for a non-runner-turned-runner, I feel pretty good about that. I've done six 5Ks and two 8Ks. I have consistently gotten faster with each 5K race. 3 miles is no longer a chore for me- it's actually pretty easy now. And this is only since August.I have been adding mileage so that I am running longer distances. Today I ran 5 1/2 miles without stopping- I never did that before. I've lost 16 lbs, and gained muscle and strength. I love shopping again and love the way my clothes look. Running is of course only partially responsible for this- a good diet is a big part as well.

So where am I going? I have a few more races on tap for the coming winter months. Just trying to beat myself each time. I don't care about the other people around me, other than that there needs to be someone slower than me. I want to run a sub 30 minute 5K. Not going to be easy, as I would need to run under a ten minute mile, and I have only done that once, for one mile. I am also getting ready to start seriously training for a half marathon. All of these training run have been getting me closer to that point. My plan is to run my first one in Rochester on May 1st. My goal: just finish, however long that may take me. If it goes decently well, I will plan to run the Buffalo half later that month, and eventually I want to finish under 2:30. Not speedy by any means, but again, for a non-runner turned runner, not an easy task. I want to stick with it. I've invested a lot of time and money into running, and I have no plans to stop any time soon. I'm happy with how far I have come and intend to take this as far as I can.

2 comments:

  1. You truly truly inspire me daily and I truly believe that you were a non-runner so the fact that you can run is such an amazing inspiration to me that it is POSSIBLE!.

    Keep it up and let me know where to go to cheer you on!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I won't lie and say it's easy... but it's so worth it. My first half will be in Rochester on May 1st, but if it goes ok I might run Buffalo at the end of May.

    ReplyDelete